©2007-2013 Butler Travel   |    PO Box 40   |    Grand Ronde, OR 97347


Butler Travel Call us now at 503-879-5005 Mission Stories

Barry Mosier Update

April 27, 2008

Greetings to all from the Mosiers:

I wish I could respond to all the emails of prayers, encouragement, and blessings that we have received. [We] have really been touched by all of your expressions of love for our family [and] can never express our deep appreciation.

After Thursday when we found out that Andrew's leg would heal alright, we were greatly relieved. had taken digital pictures of the x-rays after the cast was set and sent them to friends in America who forwarded them to experts who could give us assurance that the bones were aligned in such a way that they would heal. We were thankful for help. The eyeglasses we got Thursday were temporary and not perfect, we are grateful to see again!

So, on Friday we were hoping to be able to secure a flight for Monday to Kisangani and buy some clothes and shoes. (For me, 3 days in the same underwear, socks and pants and still wearing borrowed shoes.)

The airline Hewa Bora was offering us a free ride to Kisangani to fulfill their obligation for our ticket. Sure, April and Marybeth said, "No Way." [We] all agreed that they had failed in their first try to kill us and we didn't feel like giving them a second chance. They usually fly without incident, [but] we could not face to get on their plane again so soon. Kind friends advised us to check with an organization called Airserv. They service many NGO's with humanitarian and relief flights in Congo and other countries. They were most helpful, but their regularly scheduled flights to Kisangani were full for a week ahead. They offered to take us the next day on Sabbath. We normally do not travel on Sabbath, we felt the Lord opening this door, so we agreed. First they offered to charge us for only 1 way and they would pay the empty return trip themselves. We were happy and paid the fees. When the director saw that it took most of the money we had left, he said they would take us for free. We were so happy for their kindness!

Our attempts to buy some clothes didn't work out as that day every store in town was closed for a citywide day of mourning. Fortunately, we met several Americans who recognized us and gave us clothes from their own closets as well as some help from the ADRA office. Kind Christian Americans from the Assemblies church were especially generous with any help they could give-time and time again. Our own church leaders were feeding us, housing us and getting us everywhere we needed to go.

In the afternoon, I went to visit the Hewa Bora office. asked them for a ticket refund and wrote a list of the things we had in our luggage to request compensation. We had been taking quite a lot of things for the new mission, so it was not a small loss, although compared to our lives, it was nothing. Some of the things were Keith's and Pastor Mtenzi's personal possessions. I don't hold up much hope of compensation, but at least a claim is filed and I will give a copy to the US Embassy to follow up. The leaders said they would at least compensate for the ticket price and consider more.

Sabbath morning after giving our testimony and thanks for Sabbath school, we headed for the airport. At least we had not had to give interviews for the previous 24 hours, as Wednesday's all day interviews had left us pretty tired. When we arrived at the airport, we saw photographers coming with big cameras and thought, "oh no, maybe they are here for something else," it turned out, it was a crew from National Geographic Magazine doing a documentary on Congo Aviation-with part of their feature on AirServ.  Before the flight, they interviewed our whole family about the crash. Even though we missed church that day, I can say we preached a sermon as best we could to the National Geographic audience.

The pilots were two Americans and we felt like royalty in our seats on the Cessna 208C. (Andrew was on his stretcher which was strapped to the floor due to his chest to toe cast.) all felt very strange getting onto a plane again on that runway after only 4 days. we took off, we looked down on the wreckage at the end of the runway and from the air, I realized just HOW very short this runway is. The flight was smooth and we landed safely, thanking our benefactors so much for their help. the airport, the employees all remembered Keith weeping just a few days ago at the airport when he got the news that our plane had crashed. we met Keith, we all hugged and said praises to God for His great mercy. The airport employees were cheering.

After we met the Mtenzi family, we all wept and laughed and prayed together. We ate a big feast. They had prepared a similar feast just 4 days before when they heard that we had all died on the plane. I was just explaining these feelings today to People Magazine as they want to write about what happened.

 So we have finally reached Kisangani to see Keith. Our time together has been and will be very sweet together over the next two weeks. An added benefit has been that the Land Cruiser that they bought 6 weeks ago arrived today by airplane and we all drove it to the rented house where we stay together. I really don't know how they managed to conduct a lay training school for 70 students, an evangelistic effort and search for property for the new mission without a car, but they did. Fifty-one people who were baptized after the effort are the trophies for God's glory and the wages that they receive for their labors in Africa.

And for us, we continue to thank God for his great mercy and goodness to us.

Three days ago, we went back to see the wreckage of the crash. There was a little bit of the cabin left in front, some of the tail, and the tips of the wings left. rest was burned to ashes. People were scavenging the ashes for anything of value. We had thought maybe there would be something left of our luggage. We didn't even bother to get out of the car to look as there was nothing but smoldering ashes The main thought in my mind was that I should be in those ashes with my family-except for God's grace to us. We are alive and will continue to serve our gracious God and sing praises to His name. We are praying about joining Keith in his work here in Congo, trusting the Lord will make His will clear to us.

Someday soon, Jesus will return. of us will either have life or we will be ashes. this experience, I can urge each one to be ready each day to meet Him. Don't delay, he wants all of us to be ready.

Blessings to all,

Barry Mosier

Home Travel Requests Travel Resources Mission Stories Travelogue Links About Us Contact Us
Home Travel Requests Travel Resources Mission Stories Travelogue Links About Us Contact Us